FSC® certification of the supply chain (COC)
Background of FSC certification
Wood and paper products are in vogue. The demand for sustainably produced products is ever-increasing and wood and paper products are everywhere. With a FSC Chain of Custody (COC) certification, you contribute to the use of responsibly produced raw materials. You thus fulfil the wishes of many customers in addition to your own standards. GFA Certification is accredited for FSC certification of the supply chain (since 2000) and offers audits according to the applicable standards. The goal is the traceability of certified products across the entire supply chain right back to the forest of origin. Each individual company within the supply chain must prove their own inputs and outputs of certified goods. This form of FSC certification is aimed at all companies that endeavour to produce, process or trade FSC certified products or wish to be part of the supply chain. Often, a combination with a PEFC certification is desired. GFA offers combined Audits according to the FSC and PEFC COC standards.
Way to fsc certification
Companies interested in FSC certification create internal procedures and processes to ensure the traceability of certified FSC materials through own production, processing or trading processes. The effectiveness of the system and the corresponding application by the certified company is verified and confirmed by GFA Certification through a certification audit and then by annual monitoring audits . After successful certification, your Company is entitled to label products with the FSC label and sell these as certified products.
– Company collects information about the requirements for FSC COC
– Company fills out the GFA Questionnaire under Request Proposal (see below).
– If necessary, GFA requests further information
– GFA evaluates the informationclose
PROPOSAL AND ORDER
– Elaboration of a non-binding certification proposal by GFA
– If necessary clarification of open questions
– Acceptance of the certification proposal by the companyclose
Implementation of the FSC COC requirements by the company, for example
– Establishment of necessary procedures and processes
– Nomination of responsible staff
– Creation of a FSC COC manual
– Staff training
– Creation of sample documentsclose
Assessment of the FSC system by a GFA auditor
– Verification of documented procedures
– Inspection of the on-site operations
– Meeting with company management
– Staff meetings with responsible staff
– Creation of the audit report by the auditor
– Correction of identified non-conformities by the company
– Certification decision by the GFAclose
– Issuing of the certificate
– Registration of the certificateclose
ANNUAL SURVEILLANCE AUDIT
– Annual assessment by a GFA auditor
– Company provides evidence for compliance
– Certification decision by GFAclose
– Takes place a few weeks prior to expiry of the certificate period (5 years)
– New certification contract is concluded
– New audit by GFAclose
For more information download our PDF documents listed in the side bar or contact us via the contact form or directly via 0049 40 5247431 151 (Niklas Schroettke) or 0049 40 5247431 152 (Jannek Fahrenkrug).
Costs of fsc certification
Certification of companies according to the requirements of FSC is not a set system with fixed prices. The costs involved depend on the duration of audit which in turn is dependent on the intended scope of the certificate as well as the complexity of business processes.
Request a free and non-binding offer which is tailored to your needs under the “Request Proposal” section. Usually the time for companies to prepare for certification and be ready for the first audit by GFA takes 4 – 8 weeks.